How to Make Fuzzy Slime
January 16, 2019
The slime craze is popular among kids everywhere, and the grosser their slime is, the better. We’re turning slime on its head with these directions on how to make fuzzy slime. Your kids will love mixing up the slime color of their choice and adding real hair to create a gooey face. This easy craft will keep your kids fascinated for hours, and it’s quick and easy to mix up at home.
Start by Making the Slime
First, you have to start with the slime itself. Slime works by mixing glue and borax. Glue includes an ingredient known as polyvinyl acetate that is a liquid polymer. Borax links those polyvinyl acetate molecules together to create one long strand of slime. As your kids keep playing with it, the slime will slowly feel stiffer. You can even experiment with different kinds of glues to see how they change the slime. Your kids will be amazed by what science can do!
Here’s how to make slime:
1. Mix 1 ounce of glue (1/4 of the glue bottle) with 1/4 cup water. Add your child’s choice of food coloring to the mixture, then lift it out of the bowl with a stirring stick.
2. Add 1/4 cup of borax to the glue and water mixture and continue to stir everything together with the stirring stick.
3. Your kids can watch as the slime forms right in front of them. Then lift the ball of slime with the stirring stick to see the consistency change from step one.
4. Start kneading the slime with your hands when it gets less sticky. Pour any extra water in the bowl out.
5. Store the slime in a plastic bag in your fridge.
Make It Fuzzy
Now it’s time to give the slime a twist. This fuzzy slime for kids will make their explorations into slime-making just a little bit grosser. Here’s how to make it:
1. Find your child’s brush or a brush for your dog or cat.
2. Brush your child’s hair or tell them to brush through their own hair. If they finish brushing and they don’t have enough hair in the brush, try giving your family dog or cat a quick brush to see if that yields better results.
3. Take the hair from the brush and put it in the mixing bowl with your slime. Your child can mix it up or try to create a hairy design in the bowl.
Give Your Slime a Face
If you make fuzzy slime with your kids a few times and they’re ready to try something new, give fun a face — and some hair. You can still keep your slime hairy and disgusting but make it look even more human-like with some extra ingredients.
- Googly eyes
How to Make It:
1. Flatten your slime on a table or other flat surface with your hand or a rolling pin.
2. Take your two googly eyes and place them on the slime to give the fuzzy creature eyes.
3. Pour some glitter near the bottom of the flattened slime. Take your finger and spread the slime out until you have a mouth.
4. Take the hair that’s in a brush and place it on the top of the slime person to give them a fuzzy head.
5. Sprinkle some additional glitter on the top of the slime person’s head if you want to add more.
Don’t Forget the Science
Talk to your kids about how slime works to kickstart a potential love of science. We think science is fun, and we know your kids will too, especially when it involves gross, hairy, fluffy slime. Sign your kids up for our summer science camps and after-school science programs to get your kids even more excited about science. Contact us for more information today.